Tuesday, October 21, 2014

An error occurred while installing system components for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 Bootstrapper.

I recently was passing through a local area, and popped in on a client.  They had just received a new workstation and wanted Dynamics GP 2010, Integration Manager and FRx installed on the machine.  

On a good day this should take a few minutes.  Our group stores installation code in a standardized shared folder on the network.  We have standard agreements with IT resources to ensure we have administrative access to domain and machine resources, etc.  In this case, a simple installation proved not to be the case.

Immediately after browsing to the install folder and clicking on setup, I received the typical prerequisite installation dialogue. Dexterity Share components, .Net, etc. So, I clicked ok...

In a couple of seconds, I received the following message:

"An error occurred while installing system components for Microsoft Dynamics 
GP 2010 Bootstrapper.  Setup cannot continue until all system components have been successfully installed."


A quick search of the Interwebz indicated this was a problem with .Net compatibility, which made sense... The machine was brand new, and client IT had installed every patch available for Windows 7 - including several recent patches for .Net. 

Based on my experience I moved to Programs and Features and picked the latest .Net patch, figuring I would peel .Net like an onion until I could install the prerequisites.  When I chose to uninstall the most recent .Net patch, I received an error that I did not have permissions to uninstall the patch.  Intriguing...

So I called client IT and requested they grant our Active Directory account access to this new machine.  A few minutes later Dynamics GP 2010 installed without incident.  The lesson here is security settings can mascaraed as documented installation problems related to product incompatibilities.

Remember your troubleshooting 101.

No comments:

Post a Comment